The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Virtue and Honesty

Church was held in the school across the street. LaVerna and I would dress up and go to Sunday School. this is the first I remember of every going to Sunday services anywhere. I believe Mom went once or twice but couldn't tolerate trying to keep all 7 of us kids quite.

In this school room environment I first felt the special Spirit stir within me during the passing of the Sacrament. this was where my heart was touched, making want to be a good girl.

In school I was taught the virtue of honesty. Teachers taught about Honest Abe walking a great distance to return money to a customer when he was accidentally charged too much.

I was told how George Washington confessed to his father, "I cannot tell a lie, it was I who chopped down the cherry tree"

A pane of glass was broken out of the front door, a many panned French door. Daddy bought  the new glass and used puty to replace the window. he and Mom then left to go shopping. As they left us kids there Dad said, "Don't anybody touch this glass while I am gone."

I had to see why Dad did not want me touch the new pane. I found out why when it fell out of it's frame and broke.

Quick! Where to hide? I had a  long wait and plenty of time to make my escape and ponder my disobedience.

I finally found the courage to be like George Washington and tell my father the truth. "It was I who touched the pane after you told me not to."

Maybe the story in the school text book did not tell the rest of the story. I got spanked for my honesty! At least that felt better than the guilty conscience I was suffering waiting for their return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment