The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Kenneth is Born

7/1951 - 11/31/1951: Dad got his first job at Mercury, Nevada as the government started up their A Bomb testing grounds.

No sooner did I get my act together dealing with Emma Lea when I discovered Mom was pregnant again! This time I was mad at Dad!

I worked for J. C. Penney as a window dresser. I did my best to make Mom's life easier as I went to school and worked odd jobs to earn my own money for school clothes and school needs.

When Kenneth was born on January 8, 1952 I was 16. Daddy was away working at Test Site so Mom needed me more than ever. Because she worked so hard all day, Mom needed her rest at night.

After mom passed through the nursing stage with Kenny, she depended on me to wake up in the middle of the night to take the baby bottle in for the baby when he cried.

I hated this Job! All who know me know what a grouch I am when I first awake. Here was this little brother I didn't want who demanded I get up in the middle of the night when ever her made the magic noises. Life was not fair!

I would stagger into his bed with a bottle and offer it to him. I glared at him. he would look at me and smile the widest grin and flap his arms and kick excitedly, wanting to be picked up and played with. he was the best baby in the world. The only times he ever cried was when he was hungry or wet... or felt lonely at 2 am.

I tried real hard to not like him. Who did he think he was anyway? I even poked him with the safety pin once when he made me get up during the night to change his wet diapers then had the nerve to be happy and smile at me. i thought he should at least cry.

I didn't pole him very hard. But he did pucker up with the saddest look. tears slowly formed in those big brown eyes and her cried the most heart breaking sobs. I was so ashamed of myself. I picked him up and kissed him and felt that heart melting love for him that I had felt for Emma Lea.

He had me now! I began to look forward to our meetings at 2 am where I was the only one in the whole world who could see that happy smile and the arms and feet flying in excitement.

From then on I was a changed person forever. No longer was i ever ashamed to tell people I had 10 brothers and sisters. I loved to see their shocked faces When i got married and Mom was expecting her twelfth child, i thought it was a hoot to have her there in her beautiful maternity top. Let people gape. We were going to get another special spirit from Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment