The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Broken Eggs

There was a time in my married life when my husband decided he liked chickens. He build me a coop and bought a couple hundred chickens, whether I wanted them or not.

One day shortly after Mom had been down for  a visit, bringing Rose and Tammy to play with my 4 children. Jimmy and I found a place near the front of the chicken coop where a shallow hole had been scooped out and a large batch of broken eggs were buried. Naturally i though of Rose Marie who was known for her impetuous personality.

On the next visit from Mom and the girls, we were sitting at the table eating lunch when I remembered the broken eggs.

"Rose," I said, "Do you need to tell me about anything you did the last time you were here that I should know about?"

"What do you mean, " she asked guiltily, "Do you mean the time Mike and I took a package of instant pudding to the bushes and made a bowl of it to eat without asking?"

"No."

"Oh, do you mean the time Mike and I snuck a pack of Jimmy's cigarettes out of the drawer and smoked them in the bushes?"

"No!" this was getting interesting.

"Well, do you mean the time we walked to the river and filled our pop bottles with water and wrote dirty words  in the road?"

"No!" Rose was getting a panicky look on her face. "Do you know anything about a bunch of broken eggs?"

Mam gave a surprised giggle. "I know what you are talking about. I did that. I gathered the eggs for you and tripped as I left the coop. i did a big flip onto the ground trying not to drop the bucket. it sailed over my head in a circle and smashed right there in front of my face. i didn't want the dog to eat them and get a taste for eggs so I scooped a hole in the sand and buried them."  We had us a good laugh. i don't think Rose Marie thought it was so funny being tricked into confessing to all her past sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment