The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Elvin's Broken Leg / Whistle Slaves

Elvin was a dependable boy for Mom and Dad. We all looked for jobs to earn extra money and help out as we got old enough.

One summer when Elvin was about 14 he worked in the fields for  one of the farmers he had made friends with. Elvin was driving a tractor when it over turned with  him and broke his leg.  The tractor pinned Elvin under it. The farmer had gone home and Elvin was alone.

A stranger found him and carried Elvin to the hospital then called Mom. This passing motorist said he was driving to his fields when he heard someone whistle a loud shrill whistle.

He backed his truck up to where the noise was coming from and found Elvin laying there in a muddy ditch unable to move.

I don't remember who the Good Samaritan was, but he took Mom to the hospital where Elvin's broken leg was set and encased in Plaster of Paris.

This was the summer the twins and I were to remember for years! We were thoughtless children and our poor bedridden brother got no special sympathy from us.

He liked to boss me and tell me what to do. My personality was such as to rebel at that tact. Finding Elvin was unable to catch me and punch me if I did not obey his orders, I felt free to stick my tongue out at him and keep out of his reach. It drove him nuts and I was delighted, never thinking about what was to be my fate when he got use of his let again.

Elvin would not wait fr the leg to heal. He could not take it! We had a red Radio Flyer wagon. He took his crutches into the wagon with him and a pillow. He then ordered the twins to pull and push him when ever he whistled for them.

With transportation and two slaves, they were ordered to take him to find me. I was safe in another room when I looked up to find my angry brother descending on me. I was trapped. he slugged me several times while I screamed for Mom.

She told me I was just going to have to learn to be nice. So much for a Mother's protection. I did learn to curb my sassy mouth somewhat. To this day I find my mouth has a mind of its own sometimes as I say the wrong thing and would feelings unintentionally.

That summer of being Elvin's slaved, Willard and Wayne thought, had worked out well for their big brother. so well in fact they decided to have their own underlings.

Deanna tells how the two boys called her and Erik to them and told how it was going to be. When ever either Willard or Wayne needed them they would whistle. One whistle meant come, two whistles meant come fast or we will whip you.

Even if a twin wanted a drink of water he would whistle. Deanna knew she had to drop whatever she was doing and come running.

Deanna finally went to Mom to let her know just how mean she was treated. She grew up thinking the twins were the worst brothers ever.

With adulthood we can look at the children we were and forgive our childhood hurts.  We love to talk of our war stories now. Mom used to listen to us adults talk about all the things that went on in our youth and wonder where she had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment