The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Meanest Damn Woman

Daddy always told his friends in jest, "That's the meanest damn woman I ever married! She was shocked one day when she heard me argue with my sister LaVerna as to how many times Daddy had been married. It was a revelation to me to learn that Mom was his one and only. Surely if Mom was the meanest of the bunch, there had to be at least two more wives around someplace.

Over the years I remember Mom many times working in the kitchen preparing a meal. Lady's always wore dresses. Slacks and shorts were unheard of in the fashion of the day.

Dad would get that gleam in his eye and reach out, putting his hand under the hem of her dress and tweak the back of Mom's leg. She would turn red, slap his hand, and say, "Now stop that, Lee!"

Dada would beam and say, "That's the meanest damn woman I ever married."

No comments:

Post a Comment