The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Erik's Born - Sweat Peas

Even though I was only 4 1/2 years old on December 7, 1940, I remember the night when Daddy and we were listening to the radio and heard the frightful news that the Japaneses had bombed Pearl Harbor. We were at war. Mom and Dad talked about what this would mean to the country. It was a very frightening time. War!!!!

After a five year lull between babies, Mom was already expecting her 6th baby when war was declared in December 1940. Erik Lorin was born March 26, 1941

Deanna was quick to come next year on October 13, 1942. Deanna was given the middle name Vee, for Victory.

Mom said she had to listen to smug self righteous women talk about her behind her back saying, "Some people will do anything to keep her husband from being called into the service."

Erik was the last of the children born in Grandma Emma's bed. The town finally built a hospital and that was  where Deanna was born.

Against Mom's earlier resolve, she was forced to swallow her pride and call on her mother for help when Erik came into the world.

I remember Mama went into labor and Elvin the 2 miles on foot to Grandma's for help. She and Grandpa came for us all in their truck. Of course Daddy was out of town and Grandma was grumbling. Dr. Reichman lived across the street from Grandma.

We children were told to stay outside and play in the shade on green lawn.

I knew my Mom was in trouble, I could hear her moaning sometimes. It seemed forever. I was worried and probably hungry when I went into the kitchen and saw the nurse there standing over a steaming pan of water on the stove.

The nurse assured me my mother was going to be all right as soon as the baby was born.

I asked her where the baby would come from.

The nurse whispered that I had to keep a secret. Of course I would. She said the baby would come from my mother's tummy.

Wow! The nurse hurried back through the closed door to Mom. I was left to ponder this revelation. I had a faint dark line running from my belly button down the front of my stomach. Since I was not to discuss the secret with anyone, for years I believed one day my stomach would get so fat that dark line would slowly stretch open, painfully. to let my baby out. It was a real surprise when I was 12 and got the birds and bees lesson in school. I found how wrong I had been.

Erik was the first baby I could remember. He was perfect. Mom took all of us for a walk past the Temple the following Spring when Erik was a one year old toddler. We went to visit Great Grandma Olena Larson who lived half  a block beyond the Temple.

After our visit we stopped for a picnic outside the Temple fence on the green lawn. What a fun day! Mom took pictures as she often did. She captured one year old Erik in his new short panted lime green outfit as he tried to run on his wobbly legs. he was full of laughter and would not keep his little marching cap on his head. We had fun chasing him and replacing the hat to watch him throw it as far as he could again.

LaVerna and I both remember the love and peace we felt that day on the Temple grounds. Sun filtered through the shade from pecan trees lining the street. Sweet Peas were in bloom along the fence. From that day forward Sweet Peas have been a close runner with my Grandma Emma's Daffodils for being my favorite flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment