The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Poor Man's House / Another Perspective

Back in St. George around his old friends, Dad took his first drink again. Being an ex-alcholic he thought he could take just one drink and be able to handle it. He couldn't

During this time after we moved back to our poor man's home in St. George and I was a selfish teenager, Dad listened to me when I was complaining bout being poor. We had no indoor bathroom like everyone else in town had. He got tears in his eyes and told me I did not know what being poor was like.

He told me there were times when he thought it just was not worth it coming home to all these kids who did not appreciate him. There was never enough money to please everyone. But he had made a promise to himself that he would never do what his father had done to his family and desert us. Those were pretty sobering thoughts for me.

After I married I read a magazine article written by a man who described marriage and children to him was like taking a horse and harnessing it to a work wagon. That horse had to pull that heavy load for the rest of his life. At First I was shocked! Having children was a joy added to our lives!

And then I THOUGHT. I began to see from another perspective the weight of responsibility it is to a person's life once a child is born. No longer care free. Some fathers and mothers don't take kindly to the yoke they are hooked to. How lucky we children were to have had parents who didn't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment