The life and times of Melba Arthena Larson ans Oliver Lealand Laub or Wee Wobb's Kids and Mel's Brats by Cleo Laub Jackson 6/21/95

retyped and posted with added titles: by Kimberly Thurston a work still in progress

Cleo's Wedding

When i got married on Dec. 17, 195, LaVerna had been married since August of 1954. Mom was already the grandmother of LaVerna's oldest son.


Mom had to wear a maternity dress to my wedding as she was expecting baby #12. She was so embarrassed. I thought she looked beautiful in her pink maternity top.

Even though I desired a Temple marriage for time and eternity, I had fallen in love with a non-Mormon. I too chose to marry a man out of the Church with everyone clucking his tongue in disfavor.

Mom was determined to give me the best wedding she could with what little she had to give, so I wouldn't have to experience the pain she had gone through with her own mother's disapproval.

My future husband told me to charge my wedding dress and he would pay for it. My Homemaking teacher, Miss Turkey, asked if she could make my bridal veil. my girl friends volunteered to furnish the punch and serving ware. Mom asked a lady to decorate the cake for $25. dollars after mom baked the layers and furnished empty thread spools to separate the tiers.

Then, although she was 5 months pregnant and I'm sure very tired, Mom cooked a special Turkey dinner for my new in-laws to enjoy the day of the wedding. Daddy even stayed sober enough to walk me down the aisle and give me to a man he didn't think worthy of my little finger. What more could a girl want for her wedding?

Four months after my wedding, #12 Rosemarie was born.

One more surprise! This event was followed less than two years later by the birth of #13, Tammy. She was the last of the children, rounding the family out to 6 boys and 7 girls.

LaVerna and I both had children close to our 2 younger sister's ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment